Parents can help their kids read over the summer by providing them access to books -- all sorts of different books. Here are some great ways to add reading to your summer plans:
- Try to go to the library after work together or on a weekend.
- Look online and request your favorite books from your library.
- Explore websites for places you want to visit. Let your child navigate while you guide.
- Balance summer activities, with time for body (outdoor fun) and mind (reading, writing, sudoku)
- Talk with your kids about their reading - share the fun, excitement - read together!
- Encourage kids to read whatever they want - enjoy the freedom from school's rules and requirements
- Use books to break the boredom! Try to break the habit of always turning to electronics for entertainment.
Most of all, try to make summer reading time a fun, relaxing part of your summer!
©2013 Mary Ann Scheuer, Great Kid Books