Sunday, October 12, 2014

#WeNeedDiverseBooks -- recommending books from a wide range of perspectives (ages 4-14)

#WeNeedDiverseBooksEarlier this year, several authors banded together to put out the cry: #WeNeedDiverseBooks. What started as a call for action quickly turned viral, drawing the support of librarians, teachers, booksellers and authors nationwide. This past weekend's KidLitCon, with its focus on diversity and speaking out, prompted me to share this presentation below.

Our community in Berkeley is incredibly diverse, and I constantly try to seek out books that represent a wide range of perspectives. I want my students to be able to see themselves in books, and I want them to be able to see into others' worlds.

Although the vast majority of children's books still represent the dominant white perspective, there are many books that share diverse points of view. Our responsibility, as parents and librarians, is to seek out and celebrate books that represent a wide range of perspectives. Below is my start at that -- a celebration of diverse books for children ages 4-14. Most are new, but some are also favorites that librarians in my district have recommended.


Please let me know if there are other new diverse titles we should recommend to kids, and I will update this presentation in a few weeks. I have read many, but not all of the books in this presentation. All come with a recommendation from a fellow book-lover that I respect.

Here are a few more titles that folks have already suggested that I include:










If you make a purchase using the Amazon links on this site, a small portion goes to Great Kid Books. Thank you for your support.

©2014 Mary Ann Scheuer, Great Kid Books

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mary Ann,

    My name is Eloísa Pérez-Lozano and I am the Events and Publicity Coordinator at Arte Público Press.

    As you may know, Arte Público Press is the nation’s largest and most established publisher of contemporary and recovered literature by U.S. Hispanic authors. We were the original publishers of Sandra Cisneros’ “The House on Mango Street” and other well-known Latino authors like Gary Soto, Denise Chavez, and Ana Castillo. We launched an imprint for children and young adults, Piñata Books, in 1994.

    I see that you review children's and YA books on your blog so I was wondering if you would be interested in receiving galleys or finished books from us. Also, would you like to receive our annual catalog and occasional emails about our forthcoming books, authors, awards, and events?

    Please contact me at the email below and I looking forward to hearing from you!

    Eloísa Pérez-Lozano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Eloisa -- I have emailed you. I would very much like to learn more about Pinata books.

      Delete