Sunday, July 9, 2017

The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora, by Pablo Cartaya--smooth, layered & passionate with just a little sass (ages 9-13)

Like a great Cuban meal, Arturo Zamora is smooth, courageous and passionate, with just a little sass to let you know you can't push him around. This debut novel from Pablo Cartaya excels as a layered portrait of a young teen standing up for his family, discovering his passions for social justice and finding the courage to tell a girl that he really likes her.
The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
by Pablo Cartaya
Penguin // Listening Library, 2017
Amazon / Your local library
Google Books preview
ages 9-13
*best new book*
Every Sunday, 13-year-old Arturo joins his extended Cuban-American family at their restaurant La Cocina de la Isla. When a shady land developer threatens to put up flashy high rise condos, Arturo joins forces with his cousins and friends to fight back. Check out these great opening lines:
"I'm officially resigning from love. Time in a cell will do that to a kid. For the record: I didn't do it. Well, I didn't mean for what I did to blow up in my face. This should have been the best night of my l ife. I was going to save the restaurant. Save the town. Get the girl. Make Abuela proud... Instead I'm locked in a small room that smells like chorizo and stale popcorn while my archenemy continues to brainwash the community with reggaeton and free sunscreen."
Kids will love the way Arturo can find the courage to go up against the flashy real estate tycoon, but get completely nervous when he wants to tell a girl that he really likes her. They'll also relate to how important Arturo's family, neighborhood and culture are to him. Arturo's voice is distinctive and authentic. I love the way my friend Brenda Khan describes in her review at Prose & Khan:
"Reading it was like being enfolded into Abuela's warm hug. It was like meeting a family for the first time but feeling like I've know them forever. Arturo's voice is earnest and awkward and at times, hilarious but always genuine."
I highly recommend the audiobook. Cartaya narrates his debut novel with humor, grace and ease -- delightfully navigating Arturo’s awkwardness, humor and conviction as he develops his first crush and recognizes the power of his words in fighting for his family’s restaurant. Listen to this sample of the audiobook:

The review copy was kindly sent by the publishers, Penguin Random House and Listening Library, and I have already purchased several more copies. If you make a purchase using the Amazon links on this site, a small portion goes to Great Kid Books. Thank you for your support.

©2017 Mary Ann Scheuer, Great Kid Books

No comments:

Post a Comment