I am excited to read a new fantasy novel for children: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, by Catherynne Valente. This novel has received high praise from many quarters: starred reviews from several book review journals, praise from numerous authors such as Neil Gaiman, Cory Doctorow and Tamora Pierce, and one of Amazon's Books of the Month for May 2011. If you would like to win a free copy of this book, keep reading!
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own MakingWith a twisted, turning story, Valente tells the tale of September, a young girl from Omaha, Nebraska, who finds herself whisked away to Fairyland to retrieve a witch's spoon. One book-loving friend, Donalyn Miller (a.k.a. The Book Whisperer), describes this as a blend between the Phantom Tollbooth, Alice in Wonderland and the Oz books. I'm intrigued, and not sure I want to read much more!
by Catherynne Valente
NY: Feiwel and Friends, 2011
ages 10 - 14
available on Amazon and at your local library
Here's an intriguing book trailer for The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland...
To learn more about this story, head over to Catherynne Valente's website. She offers a wonderful chance to read the first several chapters and to listen to her reading them aloud. She also tells the intriguing story of how this story came to life, taking flight first as a free web-based novel and eventually being published with gorgeous illustrations and support from all corners.
Join me in a summer reading! The publishers of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making have offered a copy to one of my readers. Hooray!
- Leave a comment on this post, sharing your favorite fantasy story (or one your children have loved).
- Share this contest on Facebook or Twitter with a link to this post, and leave another comment so I can give you an extra entry.
- Follow this blog, either by signing up for emails (see the right hand column) or through Google Connect or Facebook. Leave another entry letting me know you follow this blog.
- You must live in the United States and have a U.S. shipping address in order to qualify.
- Make sure you leave a valid email address in your comments, so I can get in touch with you.
- Contest ends Thursday, June 30th at midnight P.S.T. Winners will be announced on July 1st.
Review ©2011 Mary Ann Scheuer, Great Kid Books.